As a high-tech location, Saxony offers attractive career opportunities for Qualified Employees.
The economy in Saxony is growing fast. Its strength lies in its diversity. It is no longer only involved with mechanical engineering; there is a growing cluster of microelectronic development making Saxony the European leader in this field. Alongside the multinationals many mittelstand companies have also been establishing their businesses here.
Companies in Saxony are reliant on qualified and motivated foreign workers.
The residence permit for a qualified occupation is a temporary right of residence. The time limitation is linked with the duration of the employment. The residence permit can be granted and renewed with conditions. The conditions specified in the approval of the labour administration are included in the residence permit.
A qualified worker can be granted a permanent residence permit (Niederlassungserlaubnis) after five years.
The granting of a residence permit for a qualified occupation requires that:
- there is a specific job-offer,
- if nec., a permission to practice one's profession has been granted or confirmed,
- the means of subsistence are ensured in Germany and
- that the stay does not infringe or endanger the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany for any other reason.
The granting of a residence permit for a qualified occupation normally requires the approval of the labour administration. This is obtained by the responsible German mission abroad or the resposible municipal or district immigration office in an internal process at the International Placement Services (ZAV). If documents are complete, approval is deemed granted two weeks after the documents were received by the labour administration (fiction of approval).
PLEASE NOTE: There are also occupations that can be practised without the approval of the labour administration. The responsible municipal or district immigration office checks whether the occupation requires approval or not.
Graduates of German schools abroad with a foreign university or college degree do not require approval by the International Placement Services (ZAV).
As the employer, you should check early with the responsible municipal or district immigration office if the approval of the ZAV is required. If the ZAV has to give approval, you can considerably shorten the decision-making process if you submit the job description form of the Federal Employment Office to the ZAV well in advance. This may be done before starting the visa procedure.
As the employer, you should check early with the responsible municipal or district immigration office if the approval of the Federal Employment Agency is required. If the Federal Employment Agency has to give approval, you can considerably shorten the decision-making process if you submit the job description form of the Federal Employment Office well in advance. This may be done before starting the visa procedure.
If you want to fill an employment vacancy with a foreign employee, however, you have not yet decided which person to employ; it is possible to apply for a general certificate at the Federalt Employment Agency. This certificate has to be presented at the municipal or district immigration office in the process of granting an entry visa and/or a residence permit. For detailed information and the required application form please visit the following website:
Approval is given by the Federal Employment Agency if:
- the employment of the foreigner causes no disadvantageous effects for the labour market,
- to applicants with precedence are available on the regional/national (EU/EEA) labour market (proof of precedence) and
- that the foreigner is not employed on working conditions that are less favourable than those for comparable German employees.
The approval of the Federal Employment Agency can be restricted as regards the activity, the employer, distribution of working time etc, and is basically granted for the duration of the employment.
PLEASE NOTE: Before you change your job or the working conditions, you should clarify questions of your residence permit with the responsible municipal or district immigration office.
For information on the labour market licensing procedure please call (+49) (0) 228 / 713 2000.
Apart from the usual documents several further documents are necessary:
- proof of a specific job-offer or employment contract stating salary [original and a copy],
- in case of regulated profession an occupational license (e. g. licensure or occupational permit) [original and a copy],
- official evaluation notice by the authority responsible for recognition of professional qualifications [original and a copy],
- if nec., completed job description form of the Federal Employment Office,